Wednesday, April 10, 2013

a challenge.


Since my last post a lot has happened...and that truly is an understatement.  Actually the very next day after the snow pictures were taken I began having complications related to my surgery.  I received treatment locally for scar tissue but by mid February I was having severe pain and had a elevated white blood count which led to a CT scan.  I knew something was very wrong and was just praying that this time someone would figure it out quickly.  They did.  I had trapped air on the outside of my abdomen which meant there was a tear somewhere. 
I was in emergency surgery within an hour.  It all happened so fast I didn't even have time to get scared.  I woke up to the news that my internal incision from my hysterectomy had tore open completely and the "treatment" I had received previously on what we thought was scar tissue actually was my bowel.  It has been cauterized and was completely adhered to the incision and falling thru.  I had multiple infections throughout my body, the worst being ecoli.  After 4 1/2 days in the hospital I was sent home to begin another 6 week recovery. 
Long sigh.
Once again our families and friends jumped to action and within hours my Mom was on her way to help, followed by our besties Monica & Sophie.  Dan & Glenda made numerous trips out as did my parents and both sets of Grandparents took turns having the kids for a week at a time.  The BF was here two different times over the 6 week recovery and helped with the party preparation that was happening throughout all this!  Our friends Laura & Steve helped so much with Taylor and set up a months worth of meals for us with the help from all of our great LG friends.   
There were a few big setbacks along the way with infections, full bed restrictions and horrific medications.  BUT...we made it.  I made it.  The 6 weeks is over.  The road to recovery continues and I still have a lot of healing to do...but I can now begin to resume my "normal" life. 
It has been an incredible challenge for our little family to endure and Ryan has had to take on all of the parenting responsibilities.  He has been a diaper changing, bath giving, meal making, errand running, Mr. Mom all while still working.  I am so thankful for the help and heartbroken that this year has taken me away from my kids and family so much.  We had to cancel a trip to DC to visit our nephew and family and a surprise trip to Disneyland we had planned for the kid's birthdays. :(
There have been a lot of sacrifices made by everyone throughout this nightmare and I just pray that this is truly over. 
I am determined to be healthy.  To move on.  Throughout this process I kept finding myself feeling like I didn't have the strength to do this anymore.  I was so overwhelmed.  This was my reminder that I wasn't alone.
Isaiah 41:10
Don't be afraid for I am with you.  Don't be discouraged for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you.  I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. 

Thank you to everyone for your prayers, your gifts, your thoughtful notes.  I am seriously overwhelmed with the love that has been poured on our family throughout this past year.   We have felt it and soaked it in.  We appreciate and love each of you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this, but glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery, and turning to the bible for strength. Your support system sounds amazing, there is a lot to be thankful for! To good health. <3

    ReplyDelete